The NLAGB Executive Committee has decided to publish our committee meeting minutes.
Please see below:




NORTH LINCOLNSHIRE ASSOCIATION OF GOVERNING BODIES

 

Minutes from Committee meeting held:-

 

Date:  9th October  2019 Time: 7 p.m.

 

Attendance:                        Angela Dunkerley (chair)

Peter Raspin

John Speyer

Barbara Spencer

Denise West

Rob Smith

 

Jemima Flintoff (Local Authority – Head of Standards and Effectiveness)

 

AGENDA

 

1.      Apologies were received from Eleanor Wasley.

 

2.     Jemima was welcomed to the meeting.  An outline of the history, aims and work of the NLAGB was given.  It was emphasised that although the Association works with the Local Authority, it remains independent of it.  Angela, although not a Governor presently in North Lincolnshire, works at a national level with the NGA.  At present, the Association funds two local Governors to sit on the SEND Advisory Group in Birmingham.  The majority of schools within the Authority affiliate.  We have a constitution which states our aims. The Association represents Governors on various groups e.g. Schools Forum and includes Governors from all types of schools. Angela is presently working with Community MATS in other areas and keeps abreast of the national picture. The Association does not normally take up individual school issues and Governance Matters was set up to deal with generic issues.  The Association hopes to compliment and support governance in North Lincolnshire. Governor Services now are able to e-mail out communications from the NLAGB to Governors and Rob Smith maintains our website.  Governors can contact us through our website.  Our committee minutes are also published on it. The Association encourages peer to peer support.

 

3.      Minutes of the Meeting held on 12th June, 2019 having been circulated were approved. 

 

4.     Matters Arising (not being an Agenda item)

 

a)     Move It –  drop-in sessions are now being advertised and held to deal with issues with Move-It which is now getting better.  Concerns are still being raised as to whether Governors should download documents onto their own computers.

b)    Printing of papers –- some Governors are receiving documents totalling over 100 pages (often relating to Appeal Panels).  The Local Authority are saying that they cannot supply paper copies and Governors should print them.  If the LA has requested the governor to attend a panel should the governor or school really be expected to print the papers? JF said she will take this back to the Authority. 

 

   New Ofsted Framework  

 

               This was discussed at the summer conference.  Amanda Spielman had

               stated in her speech that governors should be sure that the Single

              Central Register was being correctly maintained but this did not mean

              checking the register themselves. Delegates at the conference

              expressed considerable concerns about this and the NLAGB Executive

              share these. The NGA are keeping an eye on the situation.

 

              Concerns had also been raised about the new Inspection reports in that    

              they will not justify grades and they are very brief.  It is now

             recommended that as many governors/trustees as possible attend the

             feedback meeting and that they arrange for detailed notes to be taken.

 

              A discussion was taking place as to how the new framework affected

             Inspections last term.  Governors’ role in the curriculum is also being

             monitored.

 

             The DfE ran a workshop at the conference that focused on their aim of

             trying to improve communication with Governors.

 

5.     Treasurer’s Report

 

The account books are presently with the Auditor. Expenses will be paid when the cheque book is returned.  The Committee agreed that a £25 voucher should be given to Wilf Baker as a thank you for auditing the Association’s accounts. 

 

The closing balance was £3,037.75.  There was an income of £1,425 and expenses totalled £911.71.  Invoices have been sent out to schools for their affiliation fees. Cheques totalling £775 have been received and these will be paid into the account as soon as paying in book has been received back.  There are two new federations within the Authority so 66 schools now should be affiliated to the Association.  AD explained that the Association’s main costs are the fees paid to the NGA to affiliate with them and also travel expenses paid when attending events/conferences on behalf of the Association.

 

It will be recommended at the Annual General Meeting that our fees remain the same as last year.

 

6        AGM

 

This will be held on Wednesday,13th November, 2019 at Melior. Emma Knights of NGA will be the speaker.  PR will arrange the refreshments and AD will ask if Angela Kipling still wishes to help with refreshments on the evening. A flyer has already been sent out and the date was advertised at the Leadership Briefings. AD suggested an article in the Scunthorpe Telegraph to raise awareness of Governance.   JF will take this back to PT and his team.  This could be discussed at the Advisory Group in November.  AD will find out what is needed for Emma’s presentation.  All members of the Committee indicated a willingness to stand again.

 

7.      NGA UPDATE. 

 

Angela is booked to attend a Community MAT event and the Annual Conference both in November and she will feedback in due course.

 

8.      SCHOOLS FORUM

 

This has been re-scheduled for the 6th November, 2019.

 

 

 

9.      EDUCATION STANDARDS BOARD.

 

DW was unable to attend this meeting and as yet has had no feedback.

 

10.                  FEEDBACK FROM ANY OTHER MEETINGS.  

 

DW, PR AND JF will look at the current groups and their remits.

 

AD sits on the HR advisory group that looks at Policies that will be put to Governors so that they are school specific.  Unions are also involved and they appreciate Governance input. The polices (with any amendments from these meetings) then go to Governors’ Advisory Group and this system means that most schools now adopt these policies without the need for further queries.

 

Leadership Briefings – more attended the breakfast meeting this time.

 

Locality groups – still meeting but questions are being raised as to whether there is a better way of getting Governors together e.g. a conference.

 

11.                  ANY OTHER BUSINESS. 

 

JF thanked PR and DW for meeting with her.  She understood that the Association does deal with sensitive issues.  It was agreed that working relationships were important and anything that could be done to improve them would be done.  AD thanked JF for her time in coming to this meeting.

 

12.                   DATE OF NEXT MEETING

 

Wednesday 4th December at 7 p.m.                                   








NORTH LINCOLNSHIRE ASSOCIATION OF GOVERNING BODIES

 

Minutes from Committee meeting held:-

 

Date:  12th June, 2019 Time: 7 p.m.

 

Attendance:

 

Angela Dunkerley (chair)

Peter Raspin

John Speyer

Barbara Spencer

Denise West

Eleanor Wasley

Rob Smith

 

AGENDA

 

1.       Apologies were received from Pam Hodge, Governor Services who had been invited to attend.

 

2.       Minutes of the Meeting held on 3rd April 2019, having been circulated, were approved. 

 

3.      Matters Arising (not being an Agenda item)

 

a)      Move It – there are still issues around Move It and Governors being expected to print off documents.  These documents also disappear after a certain length of time. This matter will be raised with Jemima Flintoft.

b)      Parental complaints appeal – a member had been asked to sit on an appeal panel at short notice. Local Authority would not print off these papers totalling 135 pages. This is regarded as a significant issue and an unreasonable expectation.

 

4.      Treasurer’s Report

 

Mrs. West informed the Executive that there was presently £3,395.91 in the bank.  However, some expenses were still to be paid £16.20 and £154.65.

 

Mrs. West also reported that so far nothing had happened concerning the Bank proposing to charge a monthly fee.

 

5.        Schools Forum

 

This had been cancelled.

 

 

 

6.        Education Standards Board  

 

Mrs. West had attended the meeting of the ESB this afternoon.  She felt that it was a fair and interesting meeting.  They looked at the schools in focus and received updates for those schools in scope.

 

They also received reports from the Fair Access Panel concerning school exclusions.

 

They also received a report concerning children that were home educated in North Lincolnshire.

 

7.       Feedback from any meetings with officers/Governance Matters/Leadership Briefings and Locality meetings.

 

DW and PR were due to meet with Jemima Flintoft but unfortunately this meeting had to be re-arranged.   A priority for this meeting was to define the purpose of each governance group. As far as the Forum meetings were concerned, papers had been sent out to all Governors.

 

It was agreed that AD would attend meetings such as Governance Matters and meetings that were being held to arrange a Governor conference as she continues to have strong links to the NGA.    

 

It will also be suggested that venues for training must be given in advance rather than with a couple of days’ notice as this causes problems for many governors.

 

At the Leadership Briefings, there will be a “national slot” to enable AD to inform Governors of the national picture.

 

There was also a discussion as to the viability of locality meetings.  

 

8.       New Ofsted Framework including feedback from NGA summer conference when Amanda Speilman was keynote speaker.

 

AD attended this conference.  AD has written a full report and this will be published on the NLAGB website.  There will also be a small report in Governor News.

 

AD reported that the conference was very good with a wealth of information being shared by the speakers and a variety of people attending with different views.

 

Ofsted will be focussing on the quality of the curriculum which must be broad and rich. It was also emphasised that there will in future be less focus on data.

 

Substance and integrity will be at the centre of inspections and the curriculum must be adapted to local need and should be relevant to the community and the area.  There should be a long-term vision and the curriculum must also meet the needs of SEND and disadvantaged children therefore meeting the needs of all.

 

Safeguarding – if the culture of the school is right, safeguarding should not be an issue.  It was noted that Miss Speilman said there is no need for Governors to inspect the Single Central Register.

 

The NGA are working on questions that Governors should be asking about the curriculum.

 

AD reported that the DFE workshop was very good especially the Governance section. The newly appointed policy adviser from the governance unit posed a number of questions for table discussion and definitely gave the impression that he was taking on board all of the points made by delegates.

 

Emma Knights highlighted work concerning MATS and what good governance looks like whatever the structure of the organisation. She explored what is meant by ‘The right people around the table’.

 

9.      SEND (NGA Advisory Group)

 

This was attended by PW and ST. Much was discussed concerning funding for SEND and campaigning for this. They are seeking evidence of what schools have had to do because of funding issues. A report will go on the website.

 

10.   NGA

 

The NGA team is expanding enormously.  Significant funding is now becoming available from the DfE for development programmes.

 

11.  AGM

 

This will be held on the 13th November, 2019 at Melior at 7 p.m.  – 9 p.m.   A suggestion was made that the focus of this AGM should be on the curriculum. AD to enquire if NGA would replicate the workshop delivered at their summer conference.  

 

12.   Governors’ News

 

Pam at Governor Services is aiming to have this published online and also the publication of the training booklet for Governors.

 

13.   Any other business 

 

The Local Authority are consulting on sick pay for teaching staff.

 

14.   Date of Next Meeting

 

9th October, 2019 7 p.m.





NORTH LINCOLNSHIRE ASSOCIATION OF GOVERNING BODIES

Minutes from Committee meeting held:-

 

Date:  3rd April 2019         Time: 7 p.m.

 

Attendance:

Angela Dunkerley (chair)                                     Barbara Spencer

Peter Raspin                                                            Eleanor Wasley

Rob Smith                                                                 John Speyer

Denise West

 

AGENDA

 

1.      Apologies – none

 

2.      Minutes of the Meeting held on 12th December 2018 having been circulated were approved subject to a home address being removed.

 

3.     Matters Arising

a)      A conference will be discussed with Jemima and Pam and will be dealt with later.

b)    Move It – there are still issues particularly around changing passwords, documents being removed after a certain time and threatening to close accounts if they are not used. This is causing further time commitments for Governors.

 

4.     Treasurer’s Report

Mrs. West informed the Executive that there was presently £3,539.18 in the bank.  However, some expenses were still to be paid.

 

The Yorkshire Bank had sent a letter saying that as from the 1st June there would be a rise in the monthly fee to £6.50.  It was felt that this was a mistake as no monthly fees had been paid in the past.  It was agreed to see if this fee would be charged before any action was taken.

 

NGA fees – an invoice had been requested in November 2018 but it was not until February 2019 an invoice had been received and paid on 9th February, 2019.  The payment was not acknowledged but the cheque had been cleared. However, members had been having trouble accessing the NGA members’ section and this is still continuing.  AD to follow this up with the NGA.

 

57 schools have paid their fees to the NLAGB.

 

It was unanimously agreed that the fees for next year would remain at £25.00.

 

It was also noted that no invoice had yet been sent for the speaker at the November AGM.

 

5.       Schools Forum

There had been two meetings scheduled.  However, the meeting for March was cancelled.  At the January meeting the Dedicated School Grant funding formulae was discussed. High Needs funding is not ring fenced in the Local Authority’s delegated schools’ budget.

 

It will be discussed with Jemima that in the past, figures were circulated to all Governors concerning other schools’ budgets. It was felt that this was not appropriate.

 

6.       Education Standards Board

The moderating panel met on the 11th January 2019 to decide which schools would come into scope of the ESB. Denise gave an overview of the work of the ESB.

 

There had been an update to the Signatures of Risk document but as yet this had not been circulated to schools.

 

The Fair Access Panel is more established and levels of exclusions are looked at.  A discussion took place concerning off-rolling.    

      

7.       Governance Matters meetings.

Proposed changes to the Leadership Briefings were discussed together with peer leader update as well as Governor support programme where Governors were asked to help other Boards e.g. by mentoring a new Chair, sitting on an appeals panel or by joining another Board. The Governor development offer was also discussed.  The next meeting will be in June.

 

8.      Leadership Briefings and Locality meetings

The locality meeting for Brigg met recently. Pam Hodge and Tracey Sawyer attended.  Tracey gave an up date on the new Ofsted Framework and discussions took place concerning MATS and Ofsted inspections.

 

Leadership briefings may be scheduled for 8.30 a.m. to see if Heads would attend.  It was intended that they be a very short briefing.

 

9.      Website

Thanks were expressed to Rob for updating our site regularly.,

 

10.                         New Governance Handbook

Gives the Policy and legislative updates.

 

There is stronger emphasis on:

Parental engagement

Accountability

Robust oversight

Raise on line

Criminal records checks

Compliance

 

11.                         NGA update. 

In the latest edition of Governing Matters there is an interesting article on Reporting to the Board as well as the new Ofsted framework.

 

There is a MAT networking day in May.  The Executive agreed that Angela should attend if she felt it would be of benefit.

 

Summer Conference in June – Amanda Speilman is the speaker and it was agreed that Angela should attend.

 

Any Other Business

Pam Hodge will be invited to one of our meetings with a view to developing good working relationships.

 

Date of Next Meeting

          Wednesday, 12th June 2019 at 7 p.m.  





North Lincolnshire Association of Governing Bodies

Minutes of the Committee meeting 12th December 2018

Present

Apologies

Angela Dunkerley (Chair)

Barbara Spencer

Peter Raspin

Pam Hodge (LA)

                  Rob Smith

                  John Speyer

                  Eleanor Wasley

                  Denise West

 

1. Apologies

Barbara Spencer and Pam Hodge

2. Minutes of the meeting held on 19th September

These were approved but it was noted the meeting between Peter Raspin and Denise West planned for 25th September had to be cancelled. A new date will be fixed by Peter.

3. Minutes of AGM held on 7th November at Melior Community Academy

It was a good meeting although turnout was disappointing. Dai Durbridge was an excellent speaker and governors found his input useful and informative. The minutes were approved and will be available on the NLAGB website and a copy sent to the LA. 

The committee thank the LA for all their support in publicising the meeting and sending out fliers.

Governors at the AGM had asked if there would be another Governor Conference and it was agreed that NLAGB will pursue this with officers.

4. Treasurer’s Report

Denise has banked £1400 in fees and 56 schools have paid. As more schools federate, income is dropping although we pay NGA less due to the fact that our affiliation cost to them is based on the number of establishments affiliated to us.

Several schools have not replied, despite being sent reminders. Denise will send a letter to the chair of governors of these schools with a self-addressed envelope after Christmas.

It is hoped in future that the LA, through Pam Hodge, may send out letters direct to the chair of governors of all schools as it appears from discussions with individual governors at schools that have not paid, that the governors themselves have not been aware and it may therefore be the head or member of the administrative staff making the decision on whether to pay.

Denise reported that none of the Catholic schools had joined this year and 6 other schools have not joined as yet. Two of these did not join last year either, one has left after joining a MAT, 2 have simply not responded and only one has actually said they do not wish to affiliate this year.

Epworth Primary who are federated with South Axholme have re-joined this year, and Coritani have joined this year.

5. Working with the LA

It was agreed NLAGB needed to stay independent of the LA (as advocated by NGA and stated in the NLAGB Constitution) but work in close partnership with officers whenever possible. Executive members look forward to building positive relationships with the newly restructured governance team at the authority.

Executive members were unanimously concerned about changes that had been made over the last two years to the purpose and format of Governance Matters and the Leadership Briefing sessions. It was agreed that it would be useful to discuss and clarify the function and purpose of these with officers so that they provide mutually beneficial forums for developing support for all governors.

Governors are still reporting problems with MOVEIT although IT support is responding much quicker now.

6. SEND

Funding is an increasing problem with more pressure being put on schools/academies and the LA to fund children with special needs and particularly those with health problems. Very often there is little or no funding for children who may have severe health problems.

NLAGB are funding travelling expenses for Pet Whittaker and Shelley Thomas, who are governors at special schools in North Lincolnshire, to attend meetings of the National Governors’ Association SEND Advisory Group. This will provide an opportunity to raise issues about problems in North Lincolnshire, learn about developments nationally and contribute to influencing policy. They are also finding out what other LAs are doing and can feed back ideas and information to both the LA and NLAGB. They have written a brief article to highlight the focus of their discussions at these meetings for Governor’s News (but the detail that can be included has to be balanced against the need for confidentiality when discussing sensitive issues).

it was agreed that this was an appropriate use of NLAGB funds as it is an area of considerable concern for governors. The executive wish to express their thanks to Pet and Shelley for their time and commitment to this task on behalf of all governors.

7. Schools Forum

There was nothing of significance to report.                   

8, Education Standards Board

This now has a Moderating Panel with Denise West sitting on it to represent governors. They are responsible for deciding which schools should come to the Education Standards Board. Criteria are now much more transparent and focus on identifying schools that have a downward trend in performance over several years rather than a one-year dip.

9. Governance Matters

The group was originally set up for NLAGB and the LA to meet to discuss issues and concerns raised with them by governors. Without consultation with NLAGB this group has been opened up to all governors, and its remit is no longer as clear. It is much more of an informal chat session, with the LA putting a focus on the Locality Meetings.

10. Leadership Briefings and Locality Meetings

The format of these has also changed. It is no longer an update of what is happening over the term, focussing on clarifying issues to be discussed in the termly Governing Body meeting. Darren Chaplin gives a brief SEND report but meetings can include a lot of general information of varying relevance to governors. There is now little advice on what chairs and governors are being asked to do with the various papers they are sent each term from the authority.

Attendance at Locality Meetings is variable. The town groups have a few regular attendees, although there is a feeling that many governors regard these as another unnecessary meeting.

 

11. Website

There had been an email from Parentkind, an organisation wanting exposure on the website. As no-one knew anything about the group, it was agreed we pass this to Pam Hodge to investigate with the possibility of asking them to do an article for Governor News.

12. NGA

Angela had unfortunately been unable to attend the conference in Birmingham and hasn’t had any feedback from it as yet.

The NGA development programmes for chairs, clerks and MAT’s are proving very popular. These are highlighting some of the difficulties in establishing agreed governance structures and accountability within Multi-Academy Trusts. 

The clerking programmes are highlighting how important it is to have professionally trained clerks who can advise governing bodies and boards. MATs are now thinking about this too.

NGA are increasingly moving to the use of Webinars to bring consultants covering the entire country together to discuss support for governors through the NGA programmes without consultants having to travel to Birmingham

13. AOB

Angela thanked Peter (and Jane) for hosting the executive meetings this year which means that costs for running the association are minimised.

14 Date of Next meeting

Wednesday 3rd April at 7pm


Make a free website with Yola